Sunday, August 13, 2006

Land Ho


On the fourth day of our journey, we hitched a ferry over to County Kerry and the visual highlight of the trip. And I do mean, trip. As in out. The Dingle Peninsula features some of the most breathtaking vistas I will probably have the privilege to see. Some of these photos are taken from the bus and so you may see some spotting on the windows, etc. but I hope that they convey some of the incredibleness, and I do mean literally jaw-dropping, of this ring of Ireland.





















Now, the fates were on our side, considering that most days of the trip began with overcast skies, opening out into mostly sunny days. This crucial day, the sun decided to burn brightly all day, with a clear vision of islands miles off of the shore. Our guide told us how spectacularly lucky we were when she remarked that the islands nine miles off of the coast are never visible to the tour. So, lucky bastards we were. On a day like that, what better way to spend it then on the beach? This beach, on this particular day, was the best beach in the world.


Yet more unbelievable pictures.


















Here I am, perched on the westernmost piece of land in all of Europe. Behind me, the Atlantic and way off in the distance, you can see North America. Although I must have been off guard, because I look like the Kraken or some other exotic sea creature out of Homer.















I suppose that I should leave it there. I can't really put all of my pictures on the blog, and I have put quite a deal of the best ones up. We had a few more great nights out and the company as always was first class. Hats off to the Aussies, who are world class people. I must mention my bus mate, Jacqui, whose unwillingness to take a picture is here set in webstone for posterity, but a great companion and owner of the best dimples I've ever seen. Take a bow, Jacqui.




When you find yourself, come back and tell me what you found. Have a great time.
And the other characters on this bus, god bless 'em all:


















It was an epic journey and one I'll never forget. Now back to the real world yet again. Until the next time.

4 Comments:

Blogger Fountain of Filth said...

Amazing!!

Gonna have time to see Jim before you come back?

2:14 PM  
Blogger Brian said...

Not this time. Paris is next on my list. I'm going to make it happen in the fall. I was thinking maybe November. Wild Child at the Whisky a week from Saturday!

4:43 AM  
Blogger Fountain of Filth said...

I grabbed the first pic on this post as my new desktop pattern (what we Mac folks call "wallpaper"). :)

My road's finally being paved, so getting out for the Whiskey show may not happen. I had a bad experience with an inept sound board operator at the Galaxy earlier this summer, so I'm not going to that show.

I should be back in Whittier sometime after Labor Day.

9:01 PM  
Blogger Elizabeth said...

You were so lucky to have such truly stunning weather.

When is your dumb ass coming to Denver?

9:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home