Saturday, August 26, 2006

Road Weary

The long journey home was indeed long. But not as long as the security line at Heathrow. I arrived at the airport 3 and a half hours before departure time and still, I had no time to spare in getting onboard the plane. Our pilot was flying his final flight before retirement so he seemed to be in quite good spirits and pointed out a sight that he always cherished on this route. The weather was cooperative and the whole plane jostled about to look down on Greenland in all of its splendor. It was spectacular. The whole vista was reminiscent of the ice ages unspoilt. Large and numerous craggy peaks laced with ice and snow, drops and valleys obviously crafted incrementally by glaciers, depth that was clear and contrasted by the landscape and areas of water sparkling with sunshine as a painter or filmmaker might craft it for maximum effect. Breathtaking natural beauty.

To top it all off, on our arrival in Vancouver, a tradition was followed. When a pilot lands his first solo flight, and when he flies his last, the entire fire brigade cruises down the runway and when the plane has thrusted down but is still on the runway, the fire crews hose down the plane. It felt like a nice tribute to someone who has had hundreds of lives in his hands on a routine basis.

It's nice to return to Los Angeles but when time goes by in another part of the world, perspective starts to set in. Seeing my local library, the place where I essentially learned to seek knowledge and immerse myself in thought and progressive thinking, startled me in its size. Is this tiny and wholly imadequate building really where it all began? Sorry to get philosophical but perhaps this clear vision is just a sign of maturation and an expanding that I wasn't aware was taking place.

Since then, I have been catching up with my brothers and relaxing. One part of that process was attending yet another Dave Matthews Band show in Irvine last night. They were truly on form, with Dave doing his dance that he breaks out on occasions when he is really feeling the grove. Highlights were a revamped Dream Girl, certainly a transcendant Proudest Monkey, the new songs Shotgun and a brilliant epic jam Break Free, the always spectacular Lie In Our Graves with Boyd feeling particularly inspired, and a spontaneous and unique jam session near the end. Quite extraordinary and a memorable night.

This trip home seems to be quite eventful. Tomorrow morning sees me going to Las Vegas for my cousin's bachelor party. Seems like trouble. All that's fit to print in these pages when I return.

2 Comments:

Blogger Elizabeth said...

Whoooooooo! We got our tickets in the mail for DMB, thanks so much for dealing, as usual! We can't wait. It will be weird to see them inside, but I know the show will be awesome as always. I'm also hoping against hope that they'll do a Red Rocks show while we're living here.

Maybe you could take a poll and see what the Ants think will happen. [DMB geek voice] "Uh, yeah, it appears that there is a 37% chance of a Red Rocks show some time in the next two years, based on their singles release schedule and the fact that they're regularly doing Proudest Monkey in the middle third of the shows they play on Tuesdays... I developed this software myself."

3:44 PM  
Blogger Fountain of Filth said...

My childhood library was tiny, too. . . and, oddly enough, so's the one where I live now. Most of the books I've checked out have been loans from other branches. ;-)

Keep me posted on when you've available. Unfortunately, my van died last week & the replacement one died today. *sigh*

Have fun in Vegas!

5:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home