Monday, May 16, 2011

The Comeback

It has now been several (okay, five if you are keeping score) years since I have blogged.

Sigh.

It has been five LOOOOOONG years, and I am going to begin rectifying that situation forthwith, post-haste, and all of those jolly good terms. I would like to return with posts regarding my favorite topics of choice: literature, the arts, personal travels, political observations close to my heart, and all of that good, fun, thought-provoking stuff.

Let me just say this to be brief: these last five years have not been easy. For the most part, they have been brutal. For every triumph - Ph.D. conferred! - there have been about five huge setbacks. In just the past three years, I have gone through some seriously earth-shaking things, most of which you wouldn't believe if I told you. Let's just say that I lost a dear friend of mine three months ago, way too early: Lizz Ketterer. This was a person who stuck by me through some difficult times in Stratford, and who I had enjoyed the MLA Conference with in January here in L.A. We had ruminated and strategized and parsed through all of those character-building things that we had shared, and then had discussed the future in the difficult field of the Ph.D. that we have chosen as our career.

And then a month later: she was gone.

And that deeply existential moment was only the latest world-crushing circumstance since circa 2008 to hit my world. And there have been more since.

Although I will divulge more at the appropriate times, I would indeed like to stick to the moment and to issues crossing my mind in the present. And for my next blog..."so how is that career going?" Can I leave that blog blank?

I promise that I won't. Thanks for reading.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home